The upcoming update for Xbox One will focus on social features, but also includes other additions that were suggested by fan feedback. The biggest updates may come in the Activity Feed, which will be a single long scroll with more content than the current scroll. The Activity feed update will allow you to add text, like and dislike content, share gaming clips, and view others’ content via SmartGlass.
There’s also an expanded Friends area on Home, with trending games and leaderboard to stay up-to-date with your friends scores. There’s also a last seen time on Friends list so you be able to see what games your friends played last.
Other updates include support for Blu-ray 3D with the Xbox One Blu-ray player app, the ability to disable notifications (a fan-requested feature), low battery notification for the Xbox One controller, and live TV listings via OneGuide expanded to Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland.
Those Xbox One owners with early access will get the updates first, while the update will roll out to all consoles starting in August.
Xbox One August 2014 System Update Details:
- Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.
- Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
- Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”